Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Introduction & Vote!

Welcome! Is anyone out there?

I am new to the world of blogging. However, I've certainly been an avid blog reader over the past few years. So, this is my opportunity to share my thoughts, opinions, and let's face it - when I feel like it - crazy rantings.

A couple of important things: We are not done here in Georgia. We still have 2 rather important elections to decide. #1 Senate - Saxby Chambliss v. Jim Martin and #2 Georgia Court of Appeals run off between Sara Doyle and Mike Sheffield. I have had the opportunity to meet both Sara and Mike and think that either one would be a good addition to our current Court of Appeals. However, I have somewhat stronger feelings about the Senate race.

You've heard about the "magic 60." That's the number that would give the Democrats the ability to break a filibuster in the Senate and push through whatever legislation they desired without need for any bi-partisan support. That wouldn't worry me so much if they didn't have the House. And the Presidency. To have some form of check and balances it is critical that one party not control both the Executive and the Legislative branches. I wouldn't want Republicans to have this sort of control either to be honest.

Right now, the Dems have 55 seats plus 2 independents who caucus with them. That equals 57. Currently, races are undecided in Alaska, Georgia, and Minnesota. Recounts are underway in both Alaska and Minnesota, but we don't know what will happen in either of those races. So, to be sure that the "magic 60" is not reached, we must re-elect Saxby Chambliss.

So, remember to vote on December 2! Continue to make your voice heard.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Hey Beth. Your blog looks great. What is up with the election in GA. I haven't been able to follow it. Can you give us an update and we can put it on the new SGP site. Stacy

Anonymous said...

I have the start of the solution...

Get Saxby Chambliss re-elected, then two months from now, force him to retire. (I'll get Jethro, Gus, and BillyBob to drop by and provide him with a little "motivation").

Then Gov. Perdue can appoint a successor. I am thinking that it ought to be Congressman Lynn Westmoreland, or maybe Congressman Price. Both of them seem to have their collective crap in a non-leaking container. Saxby cannot say the same...can you say "bailout"??

Off to the hardware store to buy a pitchfork...